Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Welcome

Welcome --

I needed a place to post all of the information I was gathering in terms of Scholarly Communication or the Crisis in Scholarly Communication in terms of creating a sustainable systems that fits the needs of the principle stakeholders and furthers the educational and research usage of information and information systems.

I am defining Scholarly Communication in the broadest sense......
"Scholarly Communications encompasses the authoring, publishing, dissemination, and usage of information produced for teaching, learning or research in whatever format, with the tools, measures and systems needed to provide access to and store these materials in perpetuity."



The principle stakeholders are.....
Authors – Those who produce scholarly information
Publishers – Those responsible for the publication and distribution of this information
Librarians – Those who acquire, organize, classify, and provide access to the information.
Readers – Researchers, Students, etc. – Those who use the information usually to produce
more information



However, I am personally not as interested in the ethical use of information or the plagiarism aspects of the topic. I will try to include information in these areas as I come across them but do not expect to seek them out as I foresee I will be with other areas of the scholarly communication. I will attempt to tag all of my entries such that they can be organized and retrieved quickly.

The main topic areas I hope to cover are as follows:

Scholarly Communication -- background information, links, news, etc.
Inflation of Journals and Materials
Open Access
Institutional/Subject Based Repositories
Copyright
Authors Rights
Peer Review
Plagiarism
Access to Information


Thanks -- HSM

No comments: